AppleThe Apple StoreiReviewiToolsiCardsQuickTime.Apple Support.Mac OS X
ProductsDownloadsSpecificationsKnowledge BaseDiscussionsSupport Index
View:
threaded | outline
[help]
Hello, Ken Ott
[logout] [preferences] [favorites]
Search Discussions:

Top > PowerBook > PowerBook (FireWire) \ G3 Series (Bronze keyboard) \ G3 Series > AC Adapter trouble?
AC Adapter trouble? (discussion created Nov. 18, 00 11:44 am)
original message by: JudyGA   System Info: G3 Series #M4753 : Mac OS 8.5.x \ 8.6 : 128mb Ram
  I have a G3 Series (#4753) Wallstreet / 128 mb / 266mz. Lately when I start up, the control strip indicates that I am running on battery power even if the AC adapter is plugged in. In a few minutes, or after I fiddle with the machine a little, the AC power kicks in. The batteries then charge normaly with the lightening bolt showing in the menu bar. Is something wrong or is the computer just slow to recognize the adapter? The only other irregularity I have noticed is that, when charging, one of the green lights on the battery flashes rapidly. If I remove the battery from the expansion bay and reinsert it, it charges normaly. Thanks.  
[Subscribe] [Add to favorites]
(6 previous messages)previousall
  AC Adapter trouble? (message #5. - Dec. 4, 00 9:09 pm)
  by: jpl

It is possible your Wallstreet is suffering the "shielding" problem; if this is the case, it is a known issue and should be repaired by Apple irregardless of warranty status. The repair is minor, requires no parts, but does take some disassembly of the powerbook to "fix" (glue) the shield in place. As this article suggests, examine the port; you may be able to move the shield with a non-metalic probe, like a toothpick, but a more permanent repair is desirable. http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n28500

If the above is not the problem, you may have a charger port that has come loose (failed solder joint) from the board; this can be repaired by a shop that does component-level repairs, while Apple would want to replace the board (I don't know which one).

Also, I would try another power adapter to make sure yours has not failed; the PB1400, 3400, any G3, FireWire, and iBook power adapters are all interchangeable. I would recommend you not put any pressure on the power port...if the solder has not failed, meaning you have another problem, you will cause a failure eventually.

[Add to favorites][Reply]
-
  n RE: AC Adapter trouble? (message #5.1 - Dec. 5, 00 10:25 pm)
  by: Ken Ott   System Info: pbg3 series 233 : Mac OS 9.0.2 \ 9.0.3 \ 9.0.4 :

new! There was a whole slow of these messages on other mac sites in the past few months. for example, here http://www.go2mac.com/feedback.cfm?newsID=7420

I didn't know other people had similar problems until very recently. it would be nice if Apple set up a small page on their site with details on how to get the necessary repairs, instead of all of us going through unnecessary phone calls, moping, etc.

k.

[Add to favorites][Reply][Edit][Delete]
-
(6 previous messages)previousall

Add a message

[favorites]

Top > PowerBook > PowerBook (FireWire) \ G3 Series (Bronze keyboard) \ G3 Series > AC Adapter trouble?

Support Site Index | Export Compliance

Contact Us | Privacy Notice
Copyright © 2000 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.
1-800-MY-APPLE